iglesia maria


The parochial Church of Saint Mary, located in the town square, is in the barroque style and it was completed in the years 1752.

Inside, in the shape of the Latin cross the church has many stones that were once part of an ancient temple built at the foot of the castle, now the town theater.

The top of the bell tower was destroyed down to the belfry foundations during the Spanish civil war, restoration work was started in 1950 and finished a year later when the current clock was put in place. Along “Calle de la Malena” we came to the door of the visiting communion Chapel, built after the main church.

The first stone was laid on the 17th of June 1897, and it was officially open two years later on September the third 1899 to coincide whit the fest of the sacred relics.